How Digital and Traditional Marketing Intertwine
We get asked questions all the time about digital vs traditional marketing. Can I reach more customers on the radio or on Facebook? If I spend more on a print ad campaign will I see a higher ROI than focusing on social media? Do I need to put all my eggs in one basket, or should I focus on both digital and traditional marketing?
Those are all big questions, and there are not any easy answers. Every marketing campaign is unique, and no single strategy is guaranteed. That is why it is best to set aside the idea of digital vs traditional marketing and think of them both as complimentary. This quick guide is designed to help you maximize the value of your marketing budget.
What is the Difference Between Digital vs Traditional Marketing?
Simply put, digital marketing uses new online tools like websites, social media profiles, blogs, podcasts, email newsletters and viral videos to connect with customers. Traditional marketing appears on TV, radio, in print, on billboards, through the mail and on the street. The medium is one of the biggest differences, but the aim of both approaches is to reach out to connect with customers and make it easy for them to connect with you too.
What are the Benefits of Digital Marketing?
- You don’t have to spend a lot to make a big impact online.
- Digital tools make it easy to measure the effectiveness of your campaign.
- Feedback from your customers allows you to quickly refine your campaign and your brand.
- The internet lets you connect with customers no matter where they are located.
- Digital marketing opens up a conversation between your business and your target audience.
Is Traditional Marketing Still Relevant?
Absolutely. Do you still listen to the radio, watch TV, look at billboards on the highway and check out fliers when you see them on the street? We do too, and that’s why we think the idea of digital vs traditional marketing is overblown. Both of these strategies have a lot to offer, and when they are planned and managed in concert, they can have a huge impact. Just consider these scenarios:
- You use a radio ad to publicize your website.
- You use QR codes in print ads to give customers instant coupons and deals through their phone.
- You produce a podcast that is like your own hour long radio program.
- You post a YouTube video that ends up on morning news shows.
How Can I Get Started With Digital Marketing?
If you are debating digital vs traditional marketing, you are likely familiar with traditional marketing and hesitant about going online. Luckily, the transition is a lot easier than you think, and you don’t need to learn complicated new technical skills. Here are a few high-impact types of digital marketing:
- Set up social media profiles
- Start a blog and keep it updated
- Contact your customers through email
- Put special offers on your website
- Show off what you do on YouTube
Market Right – Spend Less – Make More
Don’t worry about digital vs traditional marketing – worry about getting the most out of your marketing budget. If you are ready to join your traditional marketing efforts with new digital strategies and get more out of both, let Studio C5 create a customized plan for your business.