How to Craft Your Dental Patient Persona : Marketing 101
Know Who You are Targeting
Just because everyone needs to go to the dentist doesn’t mean that every dental patient is the same.
That means a one-size-fits-all marketing strategy will most likely only be relevant to a small percentage of the traffic your website receives.
So if you want to get the most return on your marketing investment, by targeting your bread and butter patient, then there is no other choice but to first create a patient persona for each type of patient you wish to serve.
When you tailor your marketing message to include focused, targeted marketing, you’ll find your dental chairs filled year around.
Here’s a quick guide that shows you how to get started.
What is a Patient Persona?
A patient persona is like a mini-biography. It identifies a person’s demographics, goals, motivations, and behavior patterns based on real data and market research. Knowing who the patient helps you understand what the patient wants, and what makes them unique from other patients. Here are a few simple categories to consider:
- Adults vs. Kids
- New Patients vs. Returning Patients
- Simple Cleaning vs. Major Procedure
- Likes the Dentist vs. Hates the Dentist
How Do You Create a Patient Persona?
It’s easy to see that different patient have different needs, but how do you define exactly what those needs are? Follow these steps:
- Create Groups – We came up with a few groups above, but you can probably come up with more. Think of all the different kinds of patients you want to reach.
- Conduct Interviews – Sit down with a few members from each group and ask them about their demographics, their experiences with dentists and healthcare as a whole, and their likes/dislikes when it comes to dentists and oral care. Offer interviewees discounts or gifts for their time.
- Organize the Data – Create a spreadsheet that allows you to compare the answers various group members gave to the same questions. That will help you determine the issues/demographics/concerns that all members share, and identify the characteristics that make them distinct from other groups. This step also helps you identify patient personas you may have missed.
- Target Your Messages – Use the data to help you determine the messages that will speak the loudest and the places where they are most likely to be heard. For example, elderly patients may be less likely to see Facebook posts, and new patients will want to hear about how affordable and friendly you are.
Turn Research into Results with Studio C5
Creating dental patient personas is an important first step, but there is still lots of work to be done if you want to fill your appointment calendar. Develop deeper, more nuanced insights and translate those into effective marketing strategies by working with a team of experts.
Want to dive deeper into how you can create a persona for your practice? Request a free assessment today and turbo charges your marketing by targeting the patients you want to serve.