9 Tips Choosing the Right WordPress Website Design Company
Do you need a WordPress design company? In this age of cryptocurrencies, (nearly) self-driving cars, and an entire world of information and function jampacked into a 6” x 3” box, it’s hard to believe that some businesses still don’t have a website.
It’s true—a recent report found that a surprising 28% of small businesses have no online presence. Zilch. Nada.
And it’s too bad. Because more than half of shoppers (53%) say they always do research before making a purchase, according to Google.
Luckily, there are quite a few companies out there that are making website building easier than ever.
And WordPress is by far the most popular one around.
But many St. Louis businesses find themselves asking: Do I need a St. Louis WordPress web design company to build my website? And if so, how do I choose the right WordPress design company for me?
This article is going to look at those questions and more. We’re going to talk about what WordPress is, why any serious business needs to hire a professional design expert for their website, and seven tips on how you can find the right expert for website design in St. Louis to bolster their digital presence.
Let’s dive in.
Table of Contents
- What Is WordPress?
- A Few Stats About WordPress
- Why Use WordPress for Your Website?
- Why Hire a WordPress Website Design Company?
- 7 Tips on Choosing the Right WordPress Design Company
- What Services Do WordPress Web Design Companies Offer?
- How Much Do WordPress Web Designers Charge?
- How Much Does It Cost to Hire a WordPress Developer?
- Looking for a St. Louis WordPress Web Design Expert?
What Is WordPress?
WordPress is, simply put, the world’s most popular website builder.
According to WordPress themselves, “More bloggers, small businesses, and Fortune 500 companies use WordPress than all other options combined.”
The thing that makes WordPress such an attractive option for building a website is the fact that anyone can do it, no coding experience is required.
Instead of working with complex HTML, you can simply add different block types right to the page.
Plus, it’s open-source. That means you can start building for free (with limited functionality, of course).
A Few Stats About WordPress
So, how popular is WordPress these days?
Short answer—incredibly popular.
Just take a look at these stats about WordPress usage to get a glimpse of how widely used it is across the world.
- Over 409 million people view more than 20 billion WordPress pages each and every month (WordPress).
- WordPress is used by some of the biggest brands in the world, including:
- NBC Sports
- The New Yorker
- BBC America
- WordPress is searched for 2,940,000 times every month (KWFinder).
- There are currently 54,000+ free plugins for the WordPress platform (WordPress Plugin Directory).
- WordPress is used by 64.9% of all websites with a known content management system (CMS). This represents 41.6% of all websites on the internet (W3Techs).
- Users produce about 70 million new posts and 77 million new comments each month (WordPress).
And if you want to get an idea of how often the CMS is being used in real-time, check out WordPress’s second-by-second map. The image below is a glimpse of this constantly updating map.
Why Use WordPress for Your Website?
Okay, so WordPress is popular—that much is clear.
And just as importantly, why should you use it for your website?
Here are just a few things that make WordPress stand out from the rest.
- Flexible – WordPress gives users the flexibility to make their website as basic or as complex as they want to be. The only limit is on your own creativity and technical ability.
- Secure – The platform is constantly making updates to the platform to prevent malicious attacks from hackers.
- Simple – It’s easy to get started with WordPress, and individuals with little to no technical experience can still set up a solid site.
- Affordable – The platform itself is free to use since it’s open-source. But to get more usability and customization features, affordable paid plans ranging from $3 to $45 per month are available.
- Optimized – There are a few basic search engine optimization tools built into the platform, as well as several features that make it easy to enhance your website speed.
Why Hire a WordPress Website Design Company?
Simply put, working with a website design company makes creating a beautiful, functional WordPress website much easier than going it alone.
While WordPress may be incredibly accessible, a basic user likely won’t be able to create a crisp, well-built website a business needs to appear credible and inspire trust.
And credibility counts on the web.
Stanford found that 75% of internet users admitted to making judgments about a company’s credibility based on their website design alone.
Added to that, a whopping 88% of online consumers are less likely to return to a site after a bad online experience—88%!
And according to Bazaarvoice, 82% of smartphone users consult their phones on purchases they are about to make in-store. The lesson here is even if your ideal customer shops in-person rather than online, your digital presence still makes an impact.
So, why work with a St. Louis WordPress web design company? Because it’s never been more important to have a gorgeous, user-friendly website. And partnering with a WordPress design company is the absolute best way to attract and convert your ideal audience into enthusiastic customers with a fantastic website.
7 Tips on Choosing the Right WordPress Design Company
Okay, okay. You’ve got to have a great website to make it these days. And working with a WordPress design company is key to building that eye-catching website.
But how do you choose which company you should be partnering with?
Below you’ll find seven tips to help you find that perfect St. Louis WordPress web design company for your business.
1. Get the Low Down on Their Experience
Experience is key when it comes to choosing the right WordPress design company for your business’ new or updated website.
While choosing a less experienced team or solo designer might seem tempting because of the cost, these individuals typically won’t offer the full gamut of services you need to build a solid site.
Plus, many may underestimate the actual time and resources it will take to make the site live, leading to unexpected costs down the line.
Remember, though; you’re going to want to be on the watch for both WordPress web design and regular web design experience. That way, you’re working with a professional that not only knows the platform but also understands how to implement more technical features using their code-based knowledge as well.
2. Dive Deep into Their Portfolio
No matter how smooth-talking, design-savvy, ultra-experienced your prospective WordPress design company may seem, you’re always going to want to take a look at their past work before signing on.
Can they really walk the walk? Or do they just talk the talk?
Start thumbing through past websites they’ve built. Along the way, be on the lookout for overly templated websites, a good indicator of corner-cutting.
And better yet, try to find a detailed case study or two. Case studies are in-depth reports on past customer experiences that do more than just show the finished product—they actually dive deep into how the WordPress design company worked to solve their client’s unique problem.
3. Learn About Their Project Management & Support Capabilities
Having the design chops to build a fantastic website is just one aspect of getting your online presence live.
You’ll also want to investigate their project management strategy and their long-term support options as well.
- Project Management – This is a vital part of getting your website up and running on time and on budget. Project management brings higher efficiency, improved collaboration, better performance, more productive problem-solving, and a higher quality end product. Without it, even the simplest projects can end up a disaster. McKinsey actually found that a whopping 17% of IT projects without proper project management can go so bad that they threaten the very existence of the company.
- Support – WordPress is actually pretty secure all on its own. However, that doesn’t mean you won’t eventually need help, say, migrating to a different WordPress theme, adding new functionality to your site, expanding your online storefront, or generally just making your website better. For those endeavors, it’s best to get the help of the WordPress design company that built your site in the first place. As such, be sure to ask if your prospective designer offers any ongoing support plans or services. These can end up being surprisingly cost-effective and save you a lot of hassle down the line.
4. Determine If Their Capabilities Match Your Needs
Not all companies offering WordPress website design in St. Louis are going to offer the same services.
And if you’re going to find the right one for you, you’ll want to make sure you find the ones that provide the services you’re looking for.
For instance, you may already have a base website on WordPress that you just want to update and improve. Or maybe you just want to add e-commerce functionality to your current website. In these cases, a full-fledged new website may not be the best solution.
As such, try to find a WordPress design company that actually understands your needs before they tell you they can fulfill them. Try to look for companies that:
- Will take the time to hop on a discovery call or even meet up in person with your team
- Ask a lot of questions about your business and your goals
- Go into detail about the specific services they offer
- Tell you a little bit about the types of clients they serve and the problems they solve
5. Examine Their Reputation, Both Online & Offline
A business’s online reputation matters—a lot.
Online reviews help build trust, improve search engine rankings, and are a great source of feedback that can be used to guide the business forward.
Plus, customers are willing to spend 31% more on a business with excellent reviews.
They’re also a fantastic way for you to get a sense of which St. Louis WordPress developer and designer is right for your business.
You should remember, however, that some reviews are actually posted at the nudging of the company itself. As such, it can be helpful to reach out to past clients directly to get a true sense of what it was like working together.
Additionally, you can learn a lot by reading the negative reviews and taking note of how the WordPress design company responded to them.
6. Evaluate Their Cost-Effectiveness
Of course, the cost is always going to come into play when narrowing down prospects.
After all, you’re running a business, right?
That being said, you’re going to want to be careful about pinching your pennies too hard when it comes to building or overhauling your business website.
There are a few reasons for that.
First, working with cheap options is likely going to lead to cheap results. Security may be lacking, design may seem shoddy, and it may not even be optimized for mobile phones or tablets (a big no-no, especially when it comes to ranking on search engines).
As a result, you shouldn’t be evaluating prospective St. Louis WordPress development and design companies on the bottom line alone.
Instead, try to bring other considerations into the equation too. Considerations like how much will it take to repair what a cheap option leaves broken. And considerations like how much more you could be earning when you decide to invest more heavily in a solid, reputable company.
To give that last point some perspective, some reports have shown that for every $1 invested in improving your user experience, you can expect up to $100 in return—a 9,900% ROI (return on investment).
So, before you jump into business with a suspiciously affordable St. Louis WordPress developer and designer, think ahead to what that partnership is really going to end up costing you.
7. Consider Agencies That Provide Other Overlapping Services
Last but certainly not least, you’ll also want to find a WordPress design company that offers multiple overlapping services, not just website building.
Because the truth of the matter is, a great website doesn’t just look great. A lot more work typically has to go into things other than design.
For instance, in order to get found on the web, your website needs to be easily found by search engines. This is where search engine optimization (SEO) comes in.
You’re also going to want to make sure search engines like Google know where your business is in order to drive physical customers to your store. That’s what Local SEO is for.
And of course, then there’s the entire range of other website optimization services like Google My Business management, PPC ads, reputation management, link building, social media—the list goes on and on.
If you partner with a WordPress design company that offers all of the services you need, you can cut down on having to search for other providers.
It’s two (or more) birds with one stone. And it just makes good sense.
What Services Do WordPress Web Design Companies Offer?
Now that we’ve gone over the seven tips for finding a trustworthy WordPress design company in St. Louis, let’s look at some of the services these companies will offer.
Every company is going to be a little bit different in what they can do for your business. But the most talented St. Louis WordPress web design companies will likely offer these services:
- Website Development – Develop beautiful, user-friendly WordPress websites for your customers.
- SEO Services – Increase your domain authority and drive relevant traffic to your website.
- Google My Business (GMB) Support – Use Google My Business to get found locally.
- Pay Per Click Marketing – Create sponsored ad content that targets ready-to-buy users on platforms like Google.
- Online Reputation Management – Build trust with potential customers and control negative reviews before they impact your business.
- Content – Fill your website and boost your SEO with engaging, educational content your target audience will love.
- Email Marketing – Capitalize on the incredibly high ROI potential and speak directly to your customers with the most widely used digital communication method in the world.
- Link Building – Drive more traffic to your site by boosting the number of outside links that lead to your website.
- Social Media Marketing – Build brand awareness and cultivate a loyal following of customers who love what you’re selling.
- Marketing Automation – Stop sinking 20-40% of your day into your marketing and set up systems that do the hard work for you instead.
- Digital Marketing Consultation – Just need the eyes and ears of an expert? Many WordPress design companies will also offer consultation services as well.
How Much Do WordPress Web Designers Charge?
This, of course, will depend greatly on the functionality of your website, the number of pages involved, whether or not you are providing the content such as photos and web copy, and the timeframe within which you need it designed.
It also depends on the skill, experience, and often the location of the designer.
With so many factors in the air, it can be tough to find a reliable range.
However, most companies looking to design a WordPress website can expect to pay anywhere from $500 to $10,000.
And yes, you most certainly get what you pay for. If you consider hiring on Fiverr.com, expect to hit the low range, but if you want real quality where you have a beautifully designed, mobile, and SEO optimized site, expect to pay closer to the top range, or more. Again it depends on how large the overall sitemap is and what you can contribute to the project vs what the designer has to produce.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a WordPress Developer?
Not to be confused with design, development is typically a much more involved process that includes custom coding, one-of-a-kind feature development, and other special services that go beyond the default features that come with WordPress.
As you might expect, this will typically cost quite a bit more than design alone.
As a result, hiring a WordPress developer to create a custom WordPress website will typically cost anywhere from $7,500 to $20,000.
Again even with a Developer, you get what you pay for. Just remember, investing in a qualified designer or developer, has a far greater ROI for your business.
Looking for a St. Louis WordPress Design Company?
Now that you know what to look for in a WordPress design company, it’s time to find one that works for your business.
And that’s where Studio C5 comes in.
Studio C5 is the premier St. Louis WordPress development and design company.
We offer a wide range of services, including website development, SEO, and digital marketing services.
Whether you’re looking to optimize your current site, build a new one from scratch, or simply add functionality like e-commerce, our talented team has the skills and experience to help.
And right now, you can get a taste of how we can help with a 100% free website audit.
Just click below to get yours now. And let us help you create a WordPress website your audience will love!
Have questions? Request a free consultation, with us!