8 Key Tips to Boost Local SEO in 2022
Did you know that over one-third of small businesses still don’t have a website at all? According to one study, however, nearly 60% of these small business owners actually want to have a website. But they stop short because they’re overwhelmed with the complicated process of building one. Check out our local SEO tips in this fresh article.
Now, having a basic website and web presence is better than nothing. And if you’ve got a website up and running for your business, you’re already doing better than a lot of others. But if you want to drive as much traffic to that site as possible, you need to follow local SEO best practices.
Local SEO lets customers who are looking for a nearby solution find your business. For you, that means more visibility, more customers, and more revenue.
But how can you boost your local SEO and get found more easily on the web? This guide will take you through eight local SEO tips you can use to grow your business in 2022 and beyond.
Table of Contents
- 1. Create a Google Business Profile Listing
- 2. Put Your Location in Strategic Parts of Your Site
- 3. Make Sure You’re Using the Right Keywords
- 4. Encourage Customers to Write Online Reviews
- 5. Optimize Local SEO With Local Content
- 6. Optimize Your Site for Mobile
- 7. Submit Your Website to Local Directories
- 8. Keep Your NAP Information Up-to-Date
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Looking For Local SEO Experts in St. Louis?
Getting found on the web by ready-to-buy locals doesn’t have to be a complicated process. And when you follow the right local SEO strategy (and keep up with emerging SEO trends, too), your business can start seeing more growth than you ever thought possible.
Below are the eight first steps you can take to start boosting your local SEO today.
1. Create a Google Business Profile
If you’re starting with local SEO, you’re probably wondering how to get your business on Google.
If you do nothing else to boost your local SEO, you want to create a Google Business Profile listing. By doing this, you are basically listing yourself on the yellow pages of the internet. On top of that, this is one of the top factors that influence local SEO.
It isn’t complicated to set up a Google Business Profile. What is important, though, is that your profile is 100% completed. You’ll want to make sure that you fill out every field you can to have a 100% profile completion rate.
Some other Google Business Profile SEO tips include:
- Spend some time on creating a great business description
- Listing out the products and services you offer
- Publishing frequent and engaging posts
- Get more reviews on your Google My Business page
- Add frequently asked questions and answers
2. Put Your Location in Strategic Parts of Your Site
It isn’t enough to have your location listed only on your website. You need to strategically place your location information to help boost your SEO.
When a page lists information about your services or products, you’ll want to make sure that your location is listed in five particular places. These include:
- The headings
- The body copy
- The title tag
- The meta description
- The footer
When it’s relevant, it can also be a good idea to put the URL location.
3. Make Sure You’re Using the Right Keywords
When you’re using keywords as a part of your local SEO solutions, you must be using the keywords that people are actually using when they perform searches.
To find out what people are searching for, you can perform keyword research. There are tools available online such as Ahrefs (our favorite) and Semrush that give you a picture of which keywords are most relevant to your industry and brand. This can also give you a sense of how much competition there is for ranking for different keywords.
Doing keyword research can help you find keyword phrases that are frequently searched and not impossibly competitive to rank for. This is how you can boost your search results and improve your overall SEO.
4. Encourage Customers to Write Online Reviews
You provide a valuable service or product to your community, and for that reason, you have a long list of happy, regular customers. These customers are priceless when it comes to promoting your brand to others in the region, and the best way to utilize their loyalty to your company is to encourage them to write reviews online.
There are many different ways to encourage customers to write and leave reviews for your brand. You can have your staff ask customers for their feedback, engage with the reviews that already exist for your business online, give them an incentive to leave a review (note: if you go this route, you are incentivizing reviews in general, not just good reviews), and utilize surveys.
5. Optimize Local SEO With Local Content
It is common for SEO marketing to revolve around non-local content. While it’s not a bad idea to engage with a wider audience and receive more traffic to your site from non-local individuals, this isn’t necessarily where your focus should be. Creating local content can help maximize your content marketing efforts to produce more high-quality leads.
You can create content that revolves around events in your industry or local news. You can also incorporate local keywords into more general topics related to your product or service.
6. Optimize Your Site For Mobile
Optimizing your site for mobile is really important for having good SEO in general. In particular, it’s even more important when it comes to local SEO.
Why is that? Google’s own statistics point to the fact that roughly one-third of mobile searches are location-related. This means that many people searching for your service in your area will be doing so on a mobile device.
When your site doesn’t work well on smartphones or other mobile devices, you’re likely losing a good number of potential customers. Using an unoptimized site for mobile devices is frustrating, impractical, and not particularly confidence-inspiring. If your site isn’t optimized for mobile, your potential customers are likely moving on to a local competitor’s website whose site functions properly on mobile devices.
7. Submit Your Website to Local Directories
Google My Business isn’t the only business directory on the internet. Many different directories help people find local services, and you should make sure you’re listed on there.
You’ll want to get yourself listed on global and national directories such as:
On top of that, find business directories that are focused specifically on your local region. This will help boost your search rankings and ensure that new leads can always find you.
8. Keep Your NAP Information Up-to-Date
Your NAP information is your name and place information. It’s vitally important that this information is consistent across the web. Google will notice inconsistent information across sites, which will raise red flags that your business is not legitimate.
- Phone Number
If you end up moving your business, opening a new location or getting a change in telephone number, make sure to correct this information everywhere it is listed. This means your website, social media pages, local directories, and more.
Otherwise, inconsistent info can hurt your rankings on search engines.
Want to review the top Local SEO Tips from Experts?
Dig into what 30+ Local SEO experts have to say as they share their best local SEO tips for 2021.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some of the most common questions about boosting local SEO that business owners like you may have.
Who Needs Local SEO?
Practically every business can benefit from boosting their local SEO. Part of that is because Google is so widely used today. And another part is that people who are searching for local businesses are more likely to buy sooner than others.
That being said, there are some businesses that stand to benefit more from local SEO than others, including:
- Medical services
- Law offices
- Bars and restaurants
- Pet services
- Real estate
We also know from the valued clients we serve, that these home improvement companies also greatly benefit from local SEO.
- Window companies
- Painting Contractors
- Massage and Wellness Spas
- Garage Door Companies
- Fence companies
- Cannabis stores
- Retirement homes
- Heating and Cooling companies
But no matter what industry you’re in, you’re bound to see a benefit to getting found more easily online.
Just some of the best benefits of better local SEO include:
- Attracting more qualified leads and customers
- Reducing your advertising costs
- Getting found by non-locals
- Building your local fan base
- Reaching customers across a variety of platforms
- Getting an edge on your competition
- Generating more trust among potential customers
How Can I Improve My Local SEO?
The first step is to follow the eight local SEO tips outlined in this article.
- Create a Google Business Profile listing
- Put your location in strategic parts of your site
- Make sure you’re using the right keywords
- Encourage customers to write online reviews
- Optimize local SEO with local content
- Optimize your site for mobile
- Submit your website to local directories
- Keep your NAP information up-to-date
You’ll also want to create a solid local SEO strategy too.
What Is Local SEO Strategy?
A local SEO strategy is a unique plan your business can use to get found more easily by local customers. When crafting your local SEO strategy, it’s important to remember that local SEO is not the same as organic SEO.
Steps involved in creating your local SEO strategy include:
- Getting a basic foundational understanding of local SEO marketing
- Developing your website according to digital best practices
- Researching your local competitors
- Gathering online reviews and managing your reputation
- Developing link-building relationships with other local businesses
- And much more
You may find that keeping up with your local SEO can be a bit time-consuming. That’s why so many businesses choose instead to have a professional local SEO company take care of it for them.
How Do I Find Local SEO?
Finding the right local SEO service to help your business can be tough if you don’t know what to look for.
Below are a few tips you can follow to ensure you’re only working with the best local SEO agencies.
- Know how to spot over-promising
- Get clear on their strategies and tactics
- Always check reviews and references
- Come into it with clear goals in mind
- Understand reasonable (and unreasonable) timelines
- Demand full transparency
- Build up your own basic SEO knowledge
- Ask for a technical and search audit upfront
- Look for agencies that want to learn about your business
- Know whether you need an SEO consultant or an SEO agency
Looking For Local SEO Experts in St. Louis? You’ve Come to the Right Place!
Local SEO is essential if you want to grow your business in 2021. While it’s possible to boost your own SEO, sometimes it can make sense to hire a local SEO service. This way, you can let the pros take care of making sure your website has maximum reach while you can focus on what’s important: running your business.
Wondering how your website is performing? Get a 100% free website audit on us.